Certificate in Probate and Estate Administration
Probate represents one of the biggest business opportunities to the accountancy profession in a generation, enabling you to create an additional revenue stream from new and existing clients.
In order to apply for accreditation to provide probate services from ICAEW, you must first attend a suitable training course and pass an assessment (although there are exemptions for those who have another qualification that meets all the learning objectives for probate).
Our Certificate in Probate and Estate Administration has already helped hundreds of firms acquire the training and accreditation needed to apply for a probate licence. Courses and assessment days are running throughout the year, but spaces are limited.
The Certificate in Probate and Estate Administration is made up of 2 parts:
- A two day course. For 2021 events, if the event is running face to face, it will be a session running over 2 consecutive days, 9:30 - 17:00. If the event is running as a Mercia Live event, it will be a session running over 4 consecutive half days, 9:30 to 13:00. See below for details of the course and dates.
- A two hour assessment. Click here for details of the assessment and dates.
Note - you will need to attend both the course AND assessment day if you wish to obtain the certificate and you will need to book each separately.
The aim of the course is to provide a good understanding of the basics of probate and estate administration. The following areas will be covered in particular:
- Income Tax Liability of the Deceased up to the Date of Death
- Reporting for Inheritance Tax Purposes - Overview
- Valuation of the Estate
- Excepted Estate
- Estates Requiring an Account
- IHT Reliefs and Exemptions
- Calculation of IHT
- Reduced Rate for Deaths on or After 6 April 2012
- Payment of IHT
- Finalising the Estate
- The Law
- Personal Representatives and the Grant of Representation
- Wills and Intestacy
- The First Steps
- Preparing Papers for the Grant
- Administering the Estate
Purchase credits and save
Our training courses credits could provide a more flexible payment option. Call 0116 258 1200 to find out more or visit our credits page.